Saturday, January 12, 2008

Up-date on my grandaughter Morgan


Update on Morgan- admitted to Phoenix Children's Hospital) this update is from Kristan's blog.
To catch you up if you haven't followed Morgan's story - Morgan sustained a deep compression nerve injury to her right foot on November 29th when her friend accidentally ran over her foot when Morgan was getting in her car after seminary. Morgan's foot immediately swelled and began to throb. After a trip to urgent care they had called it a hairline fracture and told us to come back in a week for followup, upon followup they were still concerned with the swelling, pain and discoloration and sent to an orthopedic surgeon. He initially thought from the x-rays that she had a possible crush injury to one of the joints in her foot, but after a CT scan they ruled that out. After a few more visits with different specialist they had determined she had a deep compression injury of the perennial nerve with extreme soft tissue damage. Unfortunately her injury developed into a rare condition called RSD/CRPS. We had found some doctors to treat it and basically we were very discouraged with the long term prognosis. I just kept thinking to my self - there is no way. The whole disorder is so hard to wrap your Brain around. As Morgan tried to go back to school last week and lead a somewhat normal life she began to experience more pain. Then Wednesday night she experienced a pain episode that lasted longer than an hour and told me she couldn't do it anymore. On Thursday the muscle spasms came more frequently and more intense. By Thursday afternoon I was determined to do something. I was just not going to accept the long term prognosis we had received and watch my daughter suffer through this excruciating pain. On Tuesday night I spoke with a friend that works at Scrap Happy Sisters and she said her daughter had been hospitalized in November and the girl that shared the room with her had the same thing Morgan has. I thought to myself if there is a team of Doctors at Phoenix Children's Hospital who know how to treat this then I am getting my daughter in there. None of the doctors that have been treating Morgan have privileges at Phoenix Children's, but I was determined I could get her in there. I called and asked registration if they have a "cut-off" age. She said "no, they treat 18 year olds all the time". With a lot of prayer I knew this is what needed to happen. Some how, some way I had to get my daughter in there immediately - I wasn't going to wait for a doctor referral and I wasn't going to watch her in pain all weekend. The Bishop and Stake President came over on Thursday night to see Morgan and see how she was doing. They also mentioned that the Ward was going to be fasting for her on Sunday. Morgan asked President Ogden to give her a blessing. It was amazing. He blessed her that we would find the "right" doctors that had the knowledge to help her, and blessed her with patience as they figured out what was wrong. it was a beautiful blessing. As the evening progressed and Morgan had two more pretty bad spasms I packed her in the car and took her to Phoenix Children's Hospital ER. Upon arrival at the ER we met a doctor that did her residency back east with a doctor that specialized on RSD. Prayers were already being answered. They immediately admitted her and brought every resident doctor in the hospital to look at her foot. No one in the group had ever seen RSD. We told them about my friend and the girl that was treated here in November. One doctor knew of Taylor, my friends daughter, and they immediately researched and found the team of doctors that treated her roommate. We have been greatly blessed. We could be here a week or so - they have started an aggressive treatment plan to save Morgan's foot.
They have put an epidural catheter in Morgan's back hooked up to a pump that will give her continuous medicine for 5 days. She is completely numb from the waist down. This is done to shut down the nerves. It is hopeful that when the epidural medicine wears off in 5days that the nerves will have lost their memory and return to normal function. During this time they will come in do physical therapy on her foot and begin to get normal motion back to it while it is out of pain. Then on Wednesday they will continue physical therapy as her feeling comes back. We really don't know what will happen then. We will face that hurdle when we get to it. In the meantime, her spirits are good. She has a very cute boy visiting her today and that has brought a smile to her face. I am so thankful for all of the amazing people in my life. I have some phenomenal friends. I thank you for your love and support.

I am on my way back to the hospital to lend support to Kristan and Morgan.. I like to be there to help in any way I can.. I am so thankful for prayer and for answers to prayer and the miracles they bring. I will keep you all up-dated on her progress.. Love to you all.

No comments: