Yesterday I had the opportunity to observe 2 very different people while I was visiting my daughters church service. I wanted to be there for my grandson Coleton, who is now 12 and has more responsibilities at church. This was the first time he would be a part of the deacons quorum and help pass the sacrament at church. It was a special day for their family, his older brother Dylan & his dad shared the experience with him and all three participated together. While I was sitting there a man walked up the isle and took a seat in the second row. He was disheveled and dirty and look like he might be homeless. I was a little nervous at first I must admit, you hear about someone coming into a church and firing a gun and causing trauma. But as I watched him, he was very reverent.. watching each speaker intently.. As we stood to sing our closing song The Star Spangled Banner, he was joining in quietly. He left quickly after the closing prayer and I was sad that he hadn't stayed for awhile to meet him. I was very touched by his presence.
As we got ready to go to class Kristan asked if I was going to stay and I said yes. She said that she was going to be watching the daughter of her friend for her, while she taught her class. I walked into the room where we would watch her and met the sweetest girl. She is 10 years old and autistic. They had music playing and she was so excited to have us there. I loved watching her energy and the precise way she played with the toys. She was very organized and wanted to make sure everything was where it should be. I love watching her interact with her imaginary friends. She was so loving and if I asked her for a hug she would come and give me one and then be on her way again. I was amazed watching her, for she wouldn't let us play with her, she would take our hand and lead us back to our chairs to sit. Her big new word is awesome and she loves to say it when she finished a project, like stringing all the beads on the string. She knew when it was time to go and picked up everything and had Kristan open the closet so she could put it all away, exactly where it was suppose to go. I am truly blessed by being able to spend 2 hours with this sweet girl. She is so special and such a joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment